Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Heart of a Heartless World Part 1- Scott Mann

One of my professors wrote a text a few years ago providing an explanation of why God has been introduced into human society, thus proving that He doesn't exist.

His premise, in simple terms, lies in two parts: one, as a means to control the masses and provide them with the hope of an afterlife, one that is significantly better than their current poverty; thus the church was created. And two, based on a Freudian principle that as young children the experience of being weaned from our mothers left us with a void that needed to be fulfilled by a replacement parental figure, our lives became consumed by striving to prove our self worth. Our failure to do well, or live up to our parental expectations, leaves us feeling guilty and desiring absolution, and this is cyclic.

I have only just started reading this text and I hope to finish prior to my return to Uni in 5 weeks. But my first comment is: Fundamentally, this text does not consider the true nature of God and is only based on the way "man" (being human beings) have utilised the church over the millennia to oppress and manipulate the masses. This function of the Church is so far removed from Gods' intention that shedding light on the truth of Gods heart has become my commission. I hope that as Christians we start to "get it" (i.e. our true mandate). I believe that this is happening. I can sense something stirring.

Anyway, I'm still reading, but will dedicate this part of my blog to rebutting Professor Manns' text. He asked me for my opinion and so I will be honoured to provide my humble position.

No comments: